20 Kid Friendly Summer Activities in Phoenix
Phoenix is such a fun place to live but finding fun things to do in the summer can be a challenge. Especially when the average temperature is 110! (It has actually been 120+ this summer and we have been dying) The kids are out of school, everyone is stuck inside because it is so hot, and your stuck trying to entertain everyone during the day. When you realized that you have walked around target for at least an hour everyday the last 3 days just to kill some time outside the house, it's time to find some other activities! *Although, I could walk around target looking at this face everyday!*
Below are 20 fun summer activities to do in Phoenix with kids of all ages!
If you have a pool, you are incredibly lucky! Otherwise, visit your local public pool, community center, or spend the day with a friend who has one!
Phoenix Zoo: Discounted rates if you go during June 1st-August 31st
Odysea Aquarium: This opened not too long ago and is amazing! They even have a fun shopping area to walk around afterwards!
Wildlife world zoo & aquarium: This is one of our favorites! You can feed stingrays, giraffes, visit the petting zoo, and they even have a couple rides!
Out of Africa park: This park is awesome, and they have so many different encounters that you can do!
PS. I can't get over how tiny he is here!
This indoor museum is fun for kids of all ages! Be sure to check out their calendar for events like cooking, crafts, and more! They even have an area designated for 3 and under kiddos and crawlers!
4. Splash Pads
There are so many great splash pads throughout the valley! They are a perfect way to stay cool, especially if your little ones can't swim yet! Be sure to invest in great water shoes, a folding chair, and lots of sunscreen!
5. Drive- In movie We love going to the drive in! The one that we go to is the West Wind Glendale Drive-In. They offer double features and on Tuesdays they have family fun night so their prices are cheaper! We usually will swing by our favorite pizza place and circle k to get a soda, then head on over for pizza and a movie!
6. Go to a baseball game
Arizona is the best place if you love baseball because we have so many spring training fields out here! During the summer you can go see the Diamondbacks play at chase field!
Visit your local public library or go check out the Phoenix library! Getting a library card is free and you can rent books or even movies! This is a great free alternative to renting a movie!
8. Get Ice cream!
Go to your closest or favorite ice cream shop and get a scoop of ice cream (or frozen yogurt!) Anytime we are in the area, we always stop by Churn. It is one of our favorites!
Now, it isn't quite as big as the one in New York, but this place is cool! We have been a couple times and are so excited to take Carter! You can actually take a tour of the museum on their website to check it out before you go!
10. Harkins summer movie fun I often ask Matt how on earth Harkins hasn't bought out every movie theater because they are the best! During the summer they offer a summer movie fun program where you can buy a pass (less then $1 per movie!) for a certain day and each week they play an old movie (within the last couple years). Make sure you buy a loyalty shirt (free medium popcorn/ or $1 large popcorn) and bring your harkins loyalty cup ($1.50 refills)! Less then $4 spent and you get to get out of the house and stay out of the heat! How could you beat this?!
There are so many great bowling alleys around Phoenix! We love bowling and if you check groupon the day before you go, there are usually a ton of groupons to save you money!
12. Roller skating/Ice skating
This is always a winner in our family! First, who doesn't love roller skating?! Second, getting out of the heat and into an ice skating arena? Yes please! We love this Ice skating rink and this roller skating rink! Be sure to check out the skating schedules for fun times to go and the best prices!
13. Big surf waterpark I suggested this one over Wet n Wild, simply because we enjoyed it more, they have better pricing (groupons), and it seemed to be less crowded then when we went to Wet n Wild. Wet n Wild does have a great area they just opened up for smaller kids as well as "dive in movies" that are pretty cool! We had such a fun time at Big Surf and loved the wave pool!
14. Take a day trip to Sedona Sedona has beautiful scenery, great food, and fun activities for the entire family! We always suggest taking a Jeep tour while you are there! Creekside Inn is the best bed and breakfast around Sedona! We also love these hiking trails:
Red Rock Crossing Trail (swimming area) Red Rock Crossing is definitely the easiest and most kid- friendly! Devils Bridge is the most difficult but the view is amazing! If you don't find parking at the start of the trail or have a truck that can make the dirt road drive, you have to park about a mile away.
15. Science center They offer so many different events including "Camp innovation" during the summer! Definitely a great place to go to keep your kids entertained and cool in this AZ heat!
16. Indoor mini golf
There are so many cool indoor mini gold places, but Glow Putt is our favorite! It is so much fun, air conditioned, reasonably priced, and if you couldn't tell from the name, glow in the dark!
17. Amazing Jakes This is a great place to go with kids! They have laser tag, bumper cars, go carts, games, and small rides for younger kids (like a train). Plus, they have a buffet AND it is all indoors! It is definitely worth the hour drive for us when we go!
This is actually attached to the Odysea Aquarium and they offer a combined rate to get into both places! This place is exactly how it sounds, a butterfly wonderland!
Home depot offers free kids workshops on certain Saturdays where kids can come and create a project for free!
This is a great indoor option! Right now if you go Monday-Thursday when you buy one hour, you get the second hour for free!
I hope you and your kiddos can enjoy some summer fun at some of these places! What are your favorite summer activities to beat the heat?